These cupcakes are a revelation in gluten-free baking. They’re utterly perfect and taste just as good as my favorite chocolate cupcake that has gluten. Now if only everything gluten-free tasted this good…
Gluten-Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Gluten-Free Goddess
Makes 34 mini cupcakes
- 3/4 rounded cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 rounded cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup warm coffee
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the flours and dry ingredients. Do not sift.
- Add in the coffee, eggs, oil, vanilla and vinegar. Beat the batter for a full two to three minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth. Batter should be smooth and drip off your whisk in ribbons.
- Drop the batter into the cups.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven till done- about 20 minutes or so.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
Vegan Chocolate Ganache
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used rice milk)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat down to lowest setting and add chocolate chips and maple syrup. Combine until chocolate has melted.
- Ganache can be used immediately in its liquid state for coating. To use as filling, let cool until solid but still soft.
Fluffy Cooked Frosting
- 5 tbsp flour (use a flour substitute to make it gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup milk (use non-dairy milk to make it dairy-free)
- 1/2 cup butter (or butter substitute)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour and the milk over medium heat. Continue to whisk as the mixture starts to thicken into a paste. Keep cooking until mixture resembles a thick pudding, then remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Whisk butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and cooled milk/flour mixture and continue beating until fluffy. Mixture will look watery at first, but will eventually whip up into soft peaks.
To assemble cupcakes:
- Cut out the top of each cupcake with a paring knife. Fill with chocolate ganache, then put the cap back on to seal it.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake.
- Top with homemade sprinkles.