I’ll be completely honest: I’ve never had Thai coffee. I’m not particularly sure what make these muffins Thai coffee muffins – I guess the coriander and cardamom? But just two spices wasn’t enough for me, so I ended up adding a bunch more, so the ones I made are even less Thai coffee muffins than the version in the book.
Sorry, Thai coffee lovers out there, for bastardizing your drink. These muffins probably have nothing in common with their namesake, but they’re so delicious it doesn’t even matter.
Thai Coffee Muffins (31 of 750)
Adapted from 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury
Makes 12 muffins (32 minis)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, espresso powder, and butter until blended. Add in cream and milk and stir until blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes or until tops are just turning golden. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack.
I’ve never used coriander in baking before, but it’s a great addition to these muffins and is a great, spicy addition to the cardamom. About cardamom: why is it so expensive?! $16 for barely 2 oz. Who do you think you are, cardamom – a truffle?? I think you best get your ego in check, cardamom. I don’t have to use you! You’re a luxury, not a necessity!
All raging aside, these muffins are super tasty. If Thai coffee really tastes like this, sign me up! Or not. I’ll just eat these muffins.
Or better yet – for a really meta breakfast, dunk these in a cup of Thai coffee. Maybe if you’re lucky, you’ll create a wormhole into an alternate dimension. And really, who doesn’t enjoy a nice trip through space-time in the morning?