Happy National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day! Though it really should be every day. The only thing I love more than a classic grilled cheese (sharp cheddar and tomato on whole wheat bread) is a cookie, so naturally, I decided to combine the two.
No, it’s not real cheese in between the sugar cookies, it’s an orange cream cheese frosting. And they kind of really do look like grilled cheese sandwiches, don’t they? Especially when you cut them into triangles.
Food that looks like other food. My new obsession.
“Grilled Cheese” Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 batch basic sugar cookie dough
- 1 batch orange cream cheese frosting (recipe follows)
- Vietnamese cinnamon
- Prepare basic sugar cookie dough and cut into squares. Bake until golden on the edges and set aside to cool.
- Dab cinnamon on the tops of the cooled cookies with your finger and spread over the tops to resemble toasted bread.
- Spread frosting on the inside of a cookie and sandwich it with another cookie.
- Eat immediately or store in airtight container in fridge.
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp orange extract (or 1 tsp zest and 1 tsp fresh squeezed juice)
- Orange and yellow food coloring
- Beat cream cheese and powdered sugar together until fully incorporated.
- Add in the butter and orange extract and beat until combined.
- Add orange and yellow food coloring until frosting has the color of American cheese.
- Store in airtight container in fridge if not using immediately.
These might be the greatest thing I’ve ever baked. They’re so much fun to make, not to mention delicious, and absolutely adorable. I was worried they wouldn’t look enough like the real thing, but they look like a pretty decent cookie equivalent. And the resemblance is uncanny when you cut them on the diagonal.
I went with orange because I wanted something fruity, but you could use any other extract you want, as long as it pairs well with cinnamon. And a note about the cinnamon – it’s the perfect color to make these look toasted, and I used Vietnamese cinnamon because it’s a sweeter, bolder flavor. If you want a milder flavor, just use regular. If you don’t like cinnamon at all (but how could anyone not like cinnamon?!), try cocoa powder instead Maybe cocoa powder mixed with cornstarch to lighten the color a bit.
Even if you don’t “toast” them, these cookie sandwiches are delicious. The cream cheese frosting is dreamy and light and the cookie itself is tender and buttery. They’ll never replace a grilled cheese sandwich, but they’re the perfect treat to eat afterwards.