There are a lot of really great fictional foods – Reptar Bars, roller-skating apple pies, and literally everything made by Willy Wonka (especially the three-course-meal chewing gum) – but my absolute favorite is the cornball.
It’s one of the many recurring jokes on Arrested Development (which is back from the dead in one week, hallelujah), and as far as fictional foods go, it’s really nothing special – just a dough made from a mix that’s deep fried in the hilariously dangerous Cornballer.
The reason it’s my favorite is because you can actually feasibly make them at home. My version is an amped up corn muffin that’s been baked, not fried, in cake pop pans so they still keep their ball shape.
Though this begs the question – if you don’t burn yourself while making it, is it still a cornball?
You know that old saying, “you eat with your eyes first”? I’m not sure it’s entirely accurate, as I’m pretty sure you actually eat with your nose first. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of sitting at the dinner table, surrounded by delicious smells wafting from the kitchen, your stomach rumbling in anticipation.
These muffins will make your kitchen smell incredible. If you thought dinnertime anticipation was bad, the half an hour you spend waiting for these muffins to come out of the oven will be unbearable.
Be still, my beating heart. What’s this, a savory muffin? No chocolate? No fruit? No cinnamon??
No, I haven’t lost my mind, I’m just going through a bit of a quarter life crisis. A baking rut. Muffin ennui, if you will. Even though I still have precisely 713 recipes left to make, I’ve gotten a little bored of the typical sweet breakfast muffin. So this month, I’m giving my sweet tooth a break and focusing on the savory, starting off with these chipotle cheddar cornmeal muffins.
Chipotle Cheddar Muffins (38 of 750)
Adapted from 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury
Makes 40 mini muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and spices. Stir in cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, and butter until well blended. Whisk in milk until blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide the batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and add a pinch of chipotle pepper to the tops.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Cheesy muffins. It doesn’t get much better than that.
These muffins are in the Lunch and Supper category, but they’re perfect for breakfast too. They’re not so cheesy that they’d weigh you down first thing in the morning and the spices are a nice kick to wake up (but not obliterate) your taste buds. They’ve got a really tender, delicate crumb and it’s almost like you’re eating cheesy little biscuits.
Fresh out of the oven, they melt in your mouth, but once they’ve cooled to room temperature, the sharp cheddar and the heat from the spices really get a chance to meld. I bet these would also be great toasted, with a little pat of butter and a spoonful of jalapeno jelly. Or as a full-sized muffin sandwich, with scrambled eggs and some more cheese in the middle. Sweet tooth, I’ve forgotten all about you.