I don’t know what the weather is like where you are, but here in New York, we’ve had a heat wave for the past week that finally broke last night with a much-needed summer thunderstorm. It’s cooled down to the 80’s now, which, compared to last week’s triple digits, seems like a godsend.
For me, the best – okay, let’s be honest, the only – way to beat the summer heat is by eating copious amounts of ice cream, whether it’s in cups, or cones, or between two cookies. And this recipe is so good and so easy, you won’t even break a sweat!
It’s never too hot for puns.
Homemade Ice Cream
From the geniuses over at Kevin & Amanda
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Optional: peanut butter, Nutella, crushed Oreos – the sky’s the limit
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- Mix any liquidy additions into the sweetened condensed milk (i.e. peanut butter, Nutella).
- Gently fold in sweetened condensed milk into heavy cream and stir until fully combined. Fold in any dry additions (Oreos, sprinkles, etc.).
- Store in airtight container in freezer for at least 6 hours until firm.
This recipe is nothing short of revolutionary. Creamy, dreamy ice cream that tastes like the real thing (and not just bananas – no offense, bananas) without a fancy machine!
Apparently, the reason this works so well is because the sweetened condensed milk is, well, sweetened and condensed, which means it doesn’t freeze into a solid like heavy cream or milk would. Remember when we would make ice cream in science class by shaking a bag of milk in ice, and then when it was done, it was this icy glob that was really kind of nasty but we ate it anyways because it was so cool that we made ice cream by hand? Those days of fake ice cream are gone. This stuff is just like the real thing, but lighter – not in taste, but in texture. It’s like eating fluffy frozen clouds, if clouds were made of whipped cream (which is what I thought for the longest time when I was a kid).
The regular two-ingredient recipe is delicious as is, but why stop there? Ice cream is one of the best foods to go crazy with – throw in anything and everything you want and become your own ice cream parlor!