Apparently 2013 is the year I eat my words – quite literally. Despite my self-proclaimed love for gluten, this was the year I got really good at and started to really appreciate gluten-free baking. And despite my borderline-unhealthy obsession with butter and eggs (okay, there’s nothing borderline about it), I’m starting to really fall in love with vegan baking, thanks to these muffins.
Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins (60 of 750)
Adapted from 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury
Makes 24 mini-muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp orange zest (from 1 medium-sized orange)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 1 medium-sized orange)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, sugar, oil, and orange extract.
- Add the orange mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in chopped cranberries.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until tops are firm at the center and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Orange and cranberries are a pretty timeless combination – the oranges have enough natural sweetness to stand up to the tartness of the cranberries. I punched up the orange flavor by adding orange extract, but almond extract would also be good.
I had a moment of panic when I was making these because there was such a small amount of batter and it was bordering on the gluey side and I was petrified that the entire batch would have to go into the trash. Thankfully, once baked, these muffins puff right up and are delicate and fluffy, not gummy at all. I’m becoming more and more convinced that ovens are actually magic – how else could you throw a glob of batter into it and then end up with a tender and tasty muffin?