So January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day, which is wonderful, if a bit unnecessary. Every day is a chocolate cake day! That said, I’ll never pass up the excuse to incorporate more chocolate into my diet, so I’m glad we have a special day to celebrate.
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Makes 2 5×2-inch loaves
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar
- Mini chocolate chips for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in water, oil, and vinegar and mix until blended. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top.
- Divide between two mini loaf pans and bake for 20-30 minutes until tops are puffy and slightly cracked.
I made the rookie mistake of not making a separate little mini muffin for taste testing purposes, so I have no idea how these taste. But they certainly look perfect – that puffy, domed top is the sign of a great loaf, and these baked up beautifully. From what I could feel, the crumb is tender and the texture is soft and fluffy. Looks like I’ll have to whip up another batch to have a proper taste…