There are just some days when you need a double dose of chocolate, and I call those days every single day ever.
Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins (73 of 750)
Adapted from 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury
Makes 36 mini-muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk (I used half-and-half)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, espresso powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, milk, butter, oil, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in chocolate chips
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until tops are firm at the center and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I mean, really, given the choice, why would you ever want chocolate just one way? That would be like asking if someone wanted liberty or justice or macaroni or cheese. And this suddenly turned into a Ford Focus commercial. The point is, double chocolate is always better and these muffins are the perfect way to get your fix. They’re tender and springy without tasting overly rich or heavy.
Chocolate is good enough that it doesn’t really need any help from other flavors, but I added two of my favorites: espresso and cinnamon. Chocolate and espresso are the perfect pairing because the espresso really deepens the flavor of the chocolate. Chocolate and cinnamon also go together really well because the spices add a great warmth and depth and a subtle kick that really takes the flavor up a notch.
I’d like to take this moment to just say that I’ve been doing chocolate and cinnamon way before those fools on Once Upon a Time made it popular (what is even going on this season and why is everything so convoluted and I just wish it was season one with Sheriff Graham again and why can’t I stop hate-watching this stupid show).