There are a lot of foods that I never ate growing up that I suddenly started eating in college because of lack of time and general laziness – peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, ants on a log, and my personal favorite, peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I guess there is just something about peanut butter that attracts hungry, stressed youths like moths to a flame.
Peanut Butter Banana Muffins (77 of 750)
From 750 Best Muffin Recipes by Camilla Saulsbury
Makes 46 mini-muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, eggs, bananas, honey, peanut butter, and oil until well blendd.
- Add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffins cups.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Bananas, check. Peanut butter, check. Honey, check. All the makings of a good pb-banana sandwich and they’re in this muffin! Along with some wheat germ to make it healthy because we really aren’t in college anymore and shouldn’t be eating Cheetos and poptarts for breakfast (maybe that was just me).
The great thing about these muffins is how dense and substantial they feel. There’s a nice heft to them, but not in a bad way – they’re filling and satisfying and the combination of bananas and peanut butter is a great energy boost. They’re barely sweet, so the flavors really stand out – the deep caramel from the ripe bananas and the creamy nuttiness from the peanut butter is a great combination. I used creamy peanut butter because it was all I had on hand, but chunky would also be amazing so you get some texture in there.
The next time you need a peanut butter banana fix, forget the sandwich and make these muffins. You’ll love them, even if you aren’t a stressed out college student. In fact, they might be just the perfect upgrade for an overworked professional.